Sunday, January 30, 2011
Just posted a video to YouTube. I speak to Gail Best, a certified therapeutic music practitioner. After life changing events, Gail, a talented musician, reconnected with God and found her purpose in life. She shares her gift of healing through music with the sick and dying. I believe you'll be touched by what Gail says. I think you will also be touched when you hear a sample of her music. If you have an infirmed friend or family member, I highly encourage you to contact Gail. She is a blessing to those in need.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
In November, Mary and I were fortunate to celebrate my mom’s 87th birthday with her in the coastal city of Mazatlan, Mexico. She has been a huge blessing in my life. Not only is she a great mom, but also a best friend.
No opportunity was spared to tell everyone we could that it was her birthday. At first, she didn’t want anyone to know, but as she was showered with compliments and treated like a VP, she opened up to it nicely; it started in the Continental Airlines President’s Club and upgrading her to first class. She was thrilled…it was her first time and the flight crew treated her like a queen, after they found out…
…that’s right…it was her 87th birthday.
In Mazatlan, Mary and I became friends with Johnny Brown, the owner, of a wonderful restaurant…Los Zarapes. We enjoyed it so much, we ate there several times. The food, service and atmosphere were outstanding. Once Johnny learned it was mom’s birthday, he and his crew treated her like she was their mother too! They showed her a great time with music, dancing, and a special meal. These guys really know how to have fun and throw an impromptu party, and they truly seemed to enjoy mom as much as she enjoyed them. Though one of them said she reminded him of his grandmother…she didn’t like that comment too much.
Luckily, I captured some of the festivities on video. I even got mom’s permission to share all of this with you. I think you’ll love it.
Check it out at
|Mom, Johnny Brown, Mary and Rick|
|Johnny, Mom, Rafaellle and waiter|
|Rick and Johnny|
|Johnny and Rick|
By now, you may be asking, “What’s mom’s secret to health and vitality?”
It’s not easy to point to just one thing. There are a number of factors. Some are readily identifiable; others will remain a mystery to me. Certainly we can’t count family history; her parents died at 57 and 64 years of age. I am confident that a strong faith, love for God, and a prayerful spiritual life path have been factors.
Good solid relationships; she has friends that span her entire life since she was a young girl. Having meaningful long term relationships create peace, stability, and certainly strong bonds that satisfy the heart at a deep level. What else?
· A great wit and penchant for humor. She has always been quick with a joke. Her comical side reminds me a lot of the actress, Betty White.
· A long and loving marriage.
· Mom loves to make people happy and always gives the best of herself in countless ways, but especially showing her love through food. (She has always been a magnificent cook and baker.)
· A deep abiding faith in God.
· A very physically active youth and adolescence. She was a gymnast, and also worked hard since childhood. Mom was always involved in jobs that were physically demanding. She is a hands on person at home as well. Assisting in home repairs, yard work, painting, etc. There was never a physical task that mom wouldn’t participate in. She still cleans her own house, cooks, and bakes and does yard work.
· As an adult, she became very interested in nutrition, learning as much as she could about good nutrition and vitamin, mineral and herbal nutritional supplementation. She was on the forefront of taking vitamins and minerals…way before it became popular.
· Chiropractic—though she found this much later in life, she enjoyed the benefits of regular chiropractic care well before I chose that path as my vocation. Naturally, she enjoys regular chiropractic treatments under my care. Not a bad situation to have her son as her chiropractor, right?
Perhaps mom has even been given special grace by God to stay with us this long and in such superior condition. That, of course, is a matter of faith and belief that won’t be answered in this lifetime.
My mom is an inspiration to me on many levels…how to act, how to love, how to persevere, how to…be. Perhaps she will inspire you too!
I say, live life to the fullest, eat, drink and be merry. Do it with honesty, integrity, and allow God to be part of the party. And I say go to Mazatlan. Visit Los Zarapes and tell Johnny…Mary, mom and I sent you. You’ll be treated like family, experience friendly people, wonderful food and maybe Johnny will even buy you a drink!
If you haven’t clicked on the video yet, here’s the link…enjoy!